Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Gabriel Ng @ Esplanade


You know what dreams are? You have been marvelling at something for ages and know that its pretty impossible humanly to get tickets to watch someone that you admire for his musical talent and Viola! God comes into the picture and does that's right the impossible for you...:)

After my duty on stage on Sunday, this brother from the family group, Andy, came to me and said "Rachel, you are a violinist right? Do you know Gabriel Ng? I got these free tickets tomorrow but I can't go..."

I was leaping in my heart already!! WOW!! The ticket stub read "HSBC VIP" wow! Esplanade some more...my dream came true! I can really watch him in person!!
Next was me having a hard time asking people to go to the recital with me. Not many people appreciate classical music, asked like a few musios too but all can't make it.
Finally got Irene from Sound to go with me...! I was mermerized by his playing that night.

It's really like a dream, had caviar (my very first time) and white wine during the dinner reception. We saw the President SR Nathan, Irene saw her boss...Just as I was still recovering from the fine wine and dine. I was bought over by the amazing skills and talents in such a young boy of 12!

His fingers are like so deft over the violin and his bowing so fast and skillful that you would not think it comes from such a small frame of a boy.
Some writeup about Gabriel Ng...He was presented the HSBC Youth Excellence Award in 2006,recognition of his rare talent and pursuit of excellence in violin performance. And he was enrolled into Yehude Menuhin School for the Musically gifted in UK which offers on 3 foreign scholarships a year!

In May this year, he emerged first prize winner (intermediate cat)at the Andrea Postacchini Competition in Italy and was also the grand prize winner. :) First Singaporean to accomplish this feat wor...

You see? I can go on and on about him...but piece that touched me the most was his last piece that night, Carmen Fantasy Op. 26 by Pablo Sarasate. It was a mixure of fast and slow melodies and many musical climaxes that were so hard to play!!! The harmonics in the strings were so beautifully executed...wah me gushing and gushing..at the end of the performance. A lot of us gave a standing ovation to which he gave a two-song encore, finishing with Salut D'Amour with his own personal touch .:)

Impossible is nothing! Trust God for His Providence! Thank YOu Lord!! :D

2 comments:

The Recreation Corner said...

His signature is sooo... cute =p

But young prodigies like him are a rare gem. Prayerfully he will go on to develop fully and not be hampered by all the fame and glam that he has to carry at such a young age.

Rachel Tham said...

Hi Andrew!

Yah yah, I really like him also...when I shook his hand he still have this playful giggle when I told him he plays very well.
I really do hope that he's taught properly and not grow complacent :)