Sunday, July 26, 2009

Emotions needed?!

I had been preparing for my Violin Grade 8 Practical Exams since last year and its been 1 and half years now. This path as not been easy and I am waiting with bated breath for 27th August 2009 when I would be taking the exams. And this would determine my career or my future with the violin.

Indeed as I look back, it has been a long and difficult path to undertake. I want to come back to this blog again and testify about God's goodness when I pass my Violin Grade 8 Exams. A few months back, I want to cry practising for all my 3 violin exam pieces. Now having reached Grade 8, the pieces are at least 4 pages long. At a few points in time, I was so stressed or tensed up that my fingers will go numb or my arms will cramp!

It's such a torture for me to play a difficult piece like Henri Wieniawski's Legende Op. 17. It starts with a mellow tune before crescendo to high melodrama which requires techniques and skill that I was not yet able to accomplish. The double stops, the key change, the crescendo leading to a high forte in the high "G" double stop notes, before scaling down in chromatic fashion notes.... I tell you that part alone, My dear Auntie terms it as screeching of the chickens, while my mum complains that it gives her a nasty headache. My dad ABSOLUTELY dislikes the double stops part in the key change.

But I still thank God.

He allow that particular something to happen to me that caused me to wonder, to ponder long hours, to weep, to wail, to cry out in frustration...exactly just what emotions the song needed in the background. When I looked back...hey, thank God for that experience! Otherwise, I would not be able to think or even comprehend the emotions needed to project the song!

Okay la, emotions set, pianist set, violinist can or not???? Only You can help me Lord! I try my best amidst painful, peeling fingertips, loads of marking and work...sigh...

Do look at the video below of David Horvat , 10-yr old boy playing with such finesse the piece which I am talking about. Notice his incredible technique at such a young age. Fantastic. This is easily my favourite version of all those found on YouTube.

Presenting Legende Op. 17 - Wieniawski...take a listen and be swept by his wonderful performance and the swaying tempestuous emotions in the background. Boy the composer must have a hard life! :P

No comments: