Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Missions Trip To LiJiang - continued

Fourth Day 26th Nov 2007 - Monday

I woke up today and felt as if the world took 30 seconds to spin from one point to another. My head hurts and my whole perspective was in a whirl. I was supposed to lead the morning devotions and being the only guitarist around, play two roles at the same time. I simply cannot do it. Take charge O Lord! I told Him today. Really cannot. I do not even have the strength to stand up straight after yesterday's saga. How do I expect myself to do anything? GR was really sweet, immediately offered to help me take over the morning devotion. I just looked at him, far from my usual, loud, boisterous self, "GR, you all must help me again today..There's absolutely not much strength in me." Siew Khim took over the guitar playing and as the Lord led the morning worship. I felt simply wonderful to let God take charge again.

Despite my sickness, missions still have to go on. I would have to help Siew Khim, take over a Primary One class in sharing the story on Noah's Ark and also balloon sculpting. I had to pull Nicholas along. I dun think I could last on my own. True enough, I knocked out for two hours in Francis' room before I could do any work.

The children were wonderful. Their faces showed so much eagerness and enthusiasm to learn and when we taught them "Jesus Loves me" in Chinese, they sang with so much joy. Indeed their attitude was superb. Most of us were teachers in this team and when we saw the children taking initiative to do their duty roster of clearing the school compounds and sweeping the floors, doing the washing and stuff. Man, we were thinking to ourselves, this would NOT be the case for our kids that we teach back in Singapore. The kids back home are too pampered la...

It was wonderful to conduct a lesson with God. When you are at your wits end and absolutely sick and God steps in with a gentle hand. I once again saw how beautiful it was. He paved the way for us so much that even the teacher who took part in the lessons had no objection of us sharing the love of Christ into the classroom!
We were able to share the story of God's promises to mankind through Noah's Ark and also how God's love is meant for everyone. All of us felt a strong sense of burden for the children after realising that these children had been through a lot, some even witnessing their parents' violent deaths before they were sent into the orphanage. We were so touched by their resilence to life and their attitude towards studies. Indeed the children reflected a lot back to us then we would have expected to impact in their lives!

Thank You Lord for your most wonderful work done again in this day....:)


Nicholas coping with the rush of kids that came to him during balloon sculpting.
Me helping out in making the balloon figures for the chilren.

Han3 Feng4 with her new balloon hat!

5th Day - 27th Nov 2007 Tuesday

Was pulled to sit in with the Primary 5 table today even though I hardly got to interact with them. Got to know this very learned boy called Pai Jianyun. He was so learned that as I was helping Carol prepare for her English lesson, drawing her paper plate "angels", he came up to me and started reciting the whole history of the French troops invading Yuan2 Ming2 Yuan2. I was so shocked that such wisdom comes from a 12- year boy. I took him aside and chatted with him and was so amazed at his great knowledge of literature of Lu Xun and many other great authors. These are really tough books for such a young boy like him! As I chatted with him further, I realised his sad past of his parents having passed away from drug overdose and his strong hatred for drug abusers. His dreams, his visions for life all lost in those sad eyes of his. He wants to be a dancer, his one great interest and a policeman so that he could nab all the drug offenders.

I was so touched by this boy. If he was saved he would definitely be a strong influencer for God! Carol had spoken to him the day before and I continued to chat with him. Then, I felt God's presence very strongly, when Jianyun suddenly came to me and said to me, "Ah Yee (Auntie), you looked troubled, you seemed to be very listless, are you okay?" I don't know what came over me and at that sound of that boy's gentle voice, I started crying. Really feeling God's love and concern from the heart of that young boy. He's really special. Ha! Broke off my strong defences and teared, something that I have not done in a long while. Got GR to quickly talk to that boy as soon as possible so as to hope that his heart would be stirred about the message of Christ.

My heart really softened so much today.

Went through the day with the English class with Carol in the P4 level as GR and Nic taught the P3s with the Science experiments all.

I was a different Rachel as I went back to the inn. I started to reflect on how small I am and how sensitive was I to God every single day of my life that I fail to realise that sometimes I go on with the daily chores that I need to do and fail to notice that God cares even for the minute details of my life?

God put in me a burden for Jianyun. I would want to do a little something for him despite my short stay there....


Helping out at the English Lesson for Primary 4s

Primary 4 children participating during class

GR and Nic teaching the P3 class



Lovely, engrossed faces at the class

6th Day - 28th Nov 2007 Wednesday

Went to help out GR at the Science class today after a lengthy discussion with Carol on the flow of the English Class. We really felt that God would do something in the hearts of the children that she would be teaching today. Indeed at the end of her lesson, she broke the good news that 30 young souls were saved! It was amazing to see how God really moved through all the lessons and the children's hearts as the Christmas story was shared.

Jianyun was certainly one of the factors, him being the one to take initiative to ask how he could being a Christian! We were all so glad that God really caused the hearts of the children to really acknowledge the love of God and the gift of salvation. Praise the Lord for the souls saved! Indeed God goes on with His marvelous work being done and I thank God for Carol for being such a woman of great faith and carrying on with the lesson despite of the initial difficulties faced! Well done team!

The P6s on the other hand were also very appreciative of the Science lessons and we had certainly great fun! Our initial thoughts of the P6 children not able to appreciate balloon sculpting were all cast away as we saw how the balloons really opened up the children's hearts. These children are an epitome of how God really loves them and even the simplest of life's things can really amaze and touch them.

WOW GOD! YOU ARE AMAZING! :D


GR at the P6 Science Lesson

Kids all amazed at the peeing figurine

Preparing for the big "Birthday Party" for the children on Thursday! :P

2 comments:

Zhang Yuruo June said...

this is reading material for quite a long time:j

Rachel Tham said...

Thanks June!

Check out for the posting on my climb up the Yulong Snow Mountains and the link to the photos...hahah beautiful wor! :P
Akan Datang!
Bless,
rac