Monday, October 16, 2006

What I wanted to be when I grow up...

When I was growing up I had many dreams and aspirations.
Come to think of it, some of them are so farnie!!

I can remember during my Primary 1 or 2 days when the teacher would tell us to draw something that we wanted to be when we grow up..it was like the most asked question that my parents would coax me into answering day in and day out...

I remember the first time I drew a pic of my dream career, can you believe it I wanted to be a - POLICEMAN! I remember vividly striding into the Police Post one fine day with my Papa cos he wanted to report a minor accident with his car, think I was 6 or 7, I boldly told the PC in charge that, "Uncle, I want to be a POLICEMAN!" (I spot super short hair and my dad dressed me up like a boy) He bent down and talked to me like a adult to a child would and went,"You sure you want to be a Policeman? You dare to touch DEAD BODY?" not knowing what I was in for, I answered, "YES!"

Years later, i knew I would stray for this childhood ambition, after watching too much Crime Watch and saw all the horrible murders, and yes..seeing for myself TWO DBs! Blood splattered at the void deck from my block when some distressed ppl chose to commit suicide there..

Okay too much info, my next farnie ambition was to be a SIA girl! Always tell myself that I am tall enough and I shall apply to be a "Singapore girl" hee hee...cannot lor, me too "chor lor"...But was thinking, how nice it would be to fly all over the world and see places!

Then, I wanted to be an engineer, I struggled in my studies thru my engineer course, it was only until the final year did I finally found what I like about my studies, the Environmental Engineering part...:) Water treatment, Wastewater research, remembering the lab days when I ran samples after samples of "sh*t water". There was this prof in uni who inspired me a lot into this field, his name is Prof Appan. He made me so passionate about my research that I wanted to get a job into it after I grad, but sad to say, think the path that God has chosen for me was to be so different...

Remember a particular beer advertisement sometime back I think the guy in it goes,"My father was an engineer, and so was my father's father, But I am someone different..."

I can quote, "My father is an teacher and so is my mother, I am going to be one and so is my youngest sister!" Self fulfilling prophecy...:P These days, I am glad that the Lord has led me to where I am...:)

But there's this one HUGE dream since sec days till my early uni days on what I really wanted to be...I wanted to be a singer!! I love singing and love to add my own versions to any songs that I came across in the past. I would sing in the shower, I would sing on the way home, I would make up a song with any word that my friend's conversations end with, sometimes i write my own songs..I joined singing competitions in school, Hall Sing and strum group, Choir and really love KTV!!

Unearthed this next video of me and my sis Kerri when I was searching for a lost CD.. FIVE YEARS ago in Sep 2001 where she came to my hall to sing with me...I was not really part of HOPE yet, being a fringe member...wahaha...check out the geeky hairstyle and my shot at "stardom"!! Enjoy!

6 comments:

Lawrence said...

If i were there, i would have taken away your slip of paper!
We have a star in the CG!

Rachel Tham said...

Why lei? Why lei? wahahah

JeannieQ said...

I think....I think....I think....I was there...and I was "dragged" by someone to go look for a Rachel who would be singing something....at like some wee hours in NTU!!!but....WORTH IT LAH! haha =D You should do this again sometime!

Rachel Tham said...

Wah Jeannie!

Nostalgia eh? We have come a long long way together...yupps should do this again some day hee..:P

闪亮。明。珠 said...

Before I know you during IA, we actually used to stay at the same hostel, Hall 1. You were (and still) very popular that time in Hall and school. Once you sang "Can't take my eyes off you" during Hall 1 Mid Autumn Festival night. I still remember...

Anonymous said...

wow.... a great pair! :)
*clap clap clap clap! whistle whistle*