Not exactly like a Billboard Top 100 hits but I am pretty sure that it will soon reach that some day...have started teaching in the school since March 23rd...wow....am amazed by what I learnt and what I have personally been experiencing in the school...shall name some interesting finds...Here are my Top 7:
BOYS - What I thought I knew....
1) Being a teacher in a mission school,you are deemed to be religious. Kids will come up to you and ask you about Bible stories and about God. I had one boy dragging his poor friend to me accusing him, and very indignant,"Teacher, you know what? He DON'T believe in GOD!!" (eyes wide open in shock)..
2) You are a part time mother in classes, whether you want or not. In my two months plus stint in the boy's school, I have tied numerous shoe laces,helped a small boy put on his shoes and socks after he started sobbing, wiped up a boy's puke, gave plasters for a particular grazed knee, help comfort a boy who swallowed his baby tooth and another who had a loose tooth, listened to numerous stories how they spend their weekends, helped looked after their wallets, held a few boys' hands when they were feeling lost, comfort a few more crying ones...well you get the idea...
3)You suddenly developed a penchant for collecting things. You go in on the first day of school, you tell yourself, aiyah, I am a new teacher...nothing much to collect also mah...in my stint there, I have amassed at least 20 plus pens and pencils, erasers or what's left of them after being scrapped into bits by the boys, their soccer balls, their basketballs, satay sticks, rulers, flying rubberbands, Pokemon cards, offending papers with scraps of vulgarities, staple pins twisted into weapons of destruction to be used in class, one green wriggly little caterpillar...hahah the boys are very creative I tell you.
4) They can be very sweet and half absolutely have a big heart who do not remember scoldings. They help you carry your things when they see you struggling, take water for you when you are sweating in the hot sun, come up to you ..and "teh" you, sweet talk starts young from the age of 7. One moment you are fuming and lashing at them, the other moment, you see them running to you waving" Miss Tham, Miss Tham, Miss Tham!!" They still draw cute things and even make handicrafts for you. Have been kissed by two lil ones last term when they thought that I would be leaving then.
5)Boys will be boys. They love to play with things that they had created, paper aeroplanes, are very good at building fantastic structures that you never imagined. Still a kid la, they love cute stickers on their papers even though you think to yourself boys should be more garang. They love robots and dota, Maple Story and are very good at Maths and IT. Neat handwriting is a 1 or 2 in 40 ratio. They love running. Absolutely. They really sweat it all out during break time and after school... When it comes to fighting, you betta be there to quickly pull them apart...
6)They love videos and learn really fast visually. They can remember particular diagrams and videos which was shown to them weeks ago and put them into practice, oh yeah, pray hard that the videos are not the fighting ones...haha
7)You definitely pray much more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment