This is a question that closely ties with the highly successful book - The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman. I think this is not just a ladies thing. I really do value special dates and occasions a lot. I was having quite a lot of expectations over the weekend for my birthday but mostly I just wished for a simple sms.
Was very happy that most of my friends sent me messages to encourage me of my birthday. Was sad that one particular one did not...What had happened that had caused us to come to this stage? I was upset, I was totally affected.
That was when I suddenly remembered my Dad's golden words. "Do you really expect everyone to give u a gift? Sometimes, the gift you received may not be what you really need or wanted. So then, what for a gift, rather than the gift of the person's presence and well-wishes?"
I was jostled out of my socks. Such was the shallowness of my character. To expect a physical gift as an expression of love from my family and friends? But I really do think one of my love language is really Gifts. Experiencing love through receiving gifts.
I told God that, hey God You, in Your Almighty power, help me manage and handle my expectations. I cannot take it anymore. I went with a relaxed heart to meet them and although the response I got from them was really not what I had expected. I was thankful and glad for their response. Give thanks to the Lord that for every one that you yearn and hanker after for attention, God grants and gives lovingly 30 others who would really remember you and care for you.
Relax, leave it in God's hands, the power of presence really surpasses and outweighs the physical receiving of presents! :)
Sunday, August 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment