
Dear all,
I would like to pay my tribute to this dear teacher of mine Prof Stephen Tay Tiong Lee, My final year project supervisor who died this year on the 29th July 2005.
Dec 2003
Time to choose my FYP
The moment I saw your name and the name of the project "Membrane Fouling in Bioreactors"
My heart was stirred- I want to do this project! this is like my dream coming true. All through my final semesters, God has blessed me and paved my way so that I can take all the Environmental Engineering modules and pass them well..this is it God, I am going for it.
Jan 2004
My first meet up with the PhD student and you..
I have to confess..I have not met such a gentle lecturer like you....your room is so lovely...yeah admist the mess, i could sense the love that surrounds you and your family....the drawing drawn for you by your youngest of 4 daughters Megan " I love Daddy." your pictures and their positions in the room really still struck a deep chord in me...you laid down the perpectives of this project and how you expect me to perform..
Jan 2004-June 2004
Project work and meddling with WASTE literally...
There were the many times...i have to check with you so many times...the aspects of the project and all that encompasses it...I was so inspired! Really grew to be so interested in what i was doing that I told God that "Lord I want to do this project well for you.."
Amidst the long June holidays..i piahed my project...could you remember too the massive blackout back in May then? ALL our samples in the wastewater reactors ..hahah literally went haywired and all the bacteria died! You are a stringent and meticulous teacher...you went through all the steps again and made sure that I understood what I went through..
June holidays were the worst...I was suffering from a massive cough for three months plus already through from handling the wastewater samples...then it developed into Bronchitis..i told you sir...I cannot continue anymore..one thing was my health ..the other was due to my exams and my failing grades..i really need to grad!! But you were patient..you let me off and finish my project at that time!
SO many times i came to bug you on the report...you taught me slowly and patiently the importance of writing my data and report well and of course...i would never forget the REFERENCING!
the last few weeks prior to my submission i knew that i would hardly see you again...i told myself...Life is not just about getting your work done..its about relationships with people...I also dun wanna let this time pass me by like that without me getting to know you as a dear teacher better..
I spend many hours talking to you...know that you are a believer and you love your children very much...look at all the lovely pictures you took....Pictures when you were in Boston..I especially loved the one where your wife carried Megan and played with the autumn leaves...they were lovely!
You taught me how to use filter and stated that NIKON cameras are the best! haha...I shared excitedly too and asked you how to take betta pictures cos my daddy was a pro photographer too hehe..
I believe too that the pains taken in producing a good picture is definitely worth it....the effect just stays with you...
Dec 2004
The submission and the presentation
Come on..face it Rachel...i think you really helped me in the review of the project..i din write that well and most of the answers that you posted were too cheem! how to answer?
hah but you slowly guided me and even answered the questions for me!
I got a B for my project...but no not upset...the impact has already been made...I want to be an Environmental Engineer!
Jan 2005
"Are you happy with your grade?"
I know many people who are reading this are going go the next time they see me..."snap out of it Rachel!!" I can't help it....how do you ever forget someone who impacted on your life so much?
I can remember your gentle voices and you asking this question..you really caught me at a time when i dun wanna see you again...i had failed two subjects and had to repeat yet another sem..this is like the "dark ages" for me....
But me being so bitter then did not appreciate how much you had helped me to score in my project...this then i truly regret and am sorry...
July 2005
The last time i ever see your face..
this is uncanny...its barely two weeks ago that I took a picture with you and Prof Liu Yu ,
its barely two weeks that I talked to you as I walked all the way back to your office and I to the carpark where my parents were waiting...
You had retreated quietly as you always were with Prof Chew...it was at your wake when we recounted this incident of me...walking behind you two and you turning around to talk to me...
"So you are at DHL...what do you do with numbers?"
I chatted happily with you all the way as you retreat back to your office...as always to your quiet world and to your passion for your work...you never really shared about yourself and your stress...but its your passion and focus on your work that made you strive so hard...
Come to think of it...its really bitter sweet....these are all mental pictures which are going to be etched in my mind for a long time..in fact i think as long as i think...
When i got the news on early Sunday morning at 130 am i was devastated...
my heart broke....how to play for God on Sunday? That sunday was the wake..
It was then i amassed amazing grace through God alone...my emotions are nearly torn apart but God you pulled me through and let me touch the people of the congregation...i saw one unbeliever and i prayed that my playing will touch her heart..and she was saved..
Your wake is the most heart wrenching of all at St Joseph's Church...one by one your family and friends all shared about how much you have touched their lives and your love for football and phototaking...Your love for God has also spurred you to serve fervently in the church...
i saw many faces....you are greatly missed...even my teachers cried their hearts out...
my former dean said "Never underestimate what seems to be okay from the surface."
Your teachings...your quietness and your passion for God and love for your children and wife are definitely things that i would take with me even as I leave NTU....in your quietness you have spurred me...i will hang on!!
tears are mostly dried up now...it really makes me realise how volatile Life is...how you can talk to this person for one moment and the next day he's gone...
remember what Ps Ben had shared something like this before..."Our life is played out in moments.."
How each one of us is going to capitalise on these moments is how we choose to live our lives right, every moment, every speech, every thought...
This has made me be slightly more appreciative of the people around me..my family and friends...need to pray harder for their salvation and to really sense God's love...
going to give myself a hug now....thank You Lord that a man dearly loved is in Your hands now...:)

No comments:
Post a Comment